Saturday, December 25, 2010

Delayed Amazon Mini-Haul

Merry Christmas everybody!!
The festivities have finally died down, so I'm finally getting around to writing this.  This post should show you how much of a procrastinator I am:  I got the Amazon gift card for my birthday (October), I bought the stuff on Black Friday (November), and now I'm finally reviewing it (December).  Let's get started...

#1:  Shany Super Shimmer Eyeshadow Kit ($14.95)
I'm sure this looks familiar.  I use it pretty much every single day.  I absolutely love it.  I bought this when I had just entered the world of eyeshadow, and I was originally considering the famous Coastal Scents 88 Palette, but I wanted something that would be better for travel and fitting in drawers, so this kit looked perfect.  The colors are great for layering because they start out semi-sheer if you're just sweeping (which is good if you don't want a dramatic look), but if you stipple it, you get a more opaque wash of color.  Of course, they're shimmery, but it's not disco-ball glitter.  The separate palettes aren't named, so I've given them names to make it easier.  The one on the left is the "Brights" palette because it has brighter colors (see that bright blue and the hot pink?).  The middle one is the "Neutrals" palette because it's mostly earthy brown tones, perfect for creating neutral looks.  The one on the right is the "Cool" palette because the colors are mostly blues, greens, and purples.  This kit has everything you need for smoky, neutral, bright, dramatic, and deep looks.  There's light colors for the highlight, bright colors for the lid, and darker colors for the crease.  My only complaint is that the Neutrals palette has multiples of the same color, but that's not much to complain about, right?  It's actually down to $9.95 now, so I would totally recommend it.  Seriously, ten bucks for 36 colors!  

Another important part of my beauty arsenal, my EcoTools set.  I use these every single day.  They are eco-friendly, with bamboo handles, taklon bristles, and a cotton/hemp case.  The brushes are actually labeled, in case you couldn't figure out what to do with them.  The big one all the way to the left is the blend brush.  I don't actually use this one that much because it's too big to fit in the Shany shadows, but it's useful to brush over the entire lid to blend colors together, or to sweep away fallout.  Next is the crease brush.  It's pretty simple, and you use it in a windshield-wiper motion to apply color to the crease.  In the middle is the highlight brush.  This is perfect for the browbone and the inner corner.  To the right of that is my most-used brush, the shade brush.  It's smaller, so it fits perfectly in my Shany kit, and I use it to stipple color on my lid.  All the way to the right is the smudge brush.  I use this to apply shadow on the lower lashline or around the inner corner in a V-shape.  The 6th piece of this set is the case, with the built in mirror.  I haven't been on vacation anywhere since I bought these, so I can't tell you how sturdy it is yet.  This kit is an absolute must-have for eyeshadow lovers like me.

I haven't actually used this yet, so I can't tell you much about it.  It's a deep green, almost teal color.  Check out All Lacquered Up or Scrangie for some swatches.  On ALU, it looks greener, but Scrangie's swatch is bluer.  I'll let you know what I think once I try it out.  

That's all for now, I'll post some style of the days for today and maybe some review on my Christmas gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment